Thursday, October 18, 2007

U-N-C

In my last post, my rheumatologist said it was OK for me to take the conservative treatment route until I cried Uncle. I'm more than half way to crying "Uncle." And I mean crying.

My horrible morning is now affecting my afternoon. As I was getting baby Katie ready for daycare this morning – she started this week – everything came to a head. The pain and stiffness has been wearing me down, being up at night to feed the baby has been wearing me down and having to part with my precious newborn has been eating at me all week. A minor argument with my husband over how exactly to prepare the bottles for daycare was the proverbial straw. A brief bout of shouting brought tears of frustration, anger and resentment that just kept flowing. Even now as I recall it, I'm tearing up. The pain makes it all worse – or is it the other way around?

Even as I was in the midst of a good cry this morning, my rational self was thinking, "This is just the pregnancy hormones shifting downward suddenly." But then I wondered if it could be the inflammation building. What came first this week? Did feeling down about having to put Katie in daycare at only 9 weeks of age increase my inflammation, which increased my pain? Or has the inflammation, which has been increasing since late in my pregnancy, finally trigger a bit of depression, which caused me to feel stressed out, overly tired and in pain? I study released last week suggests the latter explanation is most likely. German researchers say an increase of inflammation-causing cytokines can cause an imbalance in the brain that leads to a deficiency of serotonin and an increase in feelings of depression.

I could almost feel the bad chemicals flowing through my blood vessels as my stress level rose. I tried to calm down -- I didn't want to upset the baby. I continued getting her ready for daycare, with tears running down my face. She stared at me as if she knew something was wrong and then she smiled, like she wanted to cheer me up! I nursed her and she smiled. I changed her diaper and she smiled. She was completely carefree and happy, and I didn't want to screw that up.

I re-did my makeup and took Katie to daycare, trying to be my usually happy self, and it almost worked. Even though it's only day four at Katie's daycare, the caregiver seemed to sense that I had been upset this morning. I admitted to a certain level, but didn't go into how much the pain in my joints seemed to magnify the difficulty of leaving Katie for the day. Just yesterday, the same woman had commented on Katie's long fingers. I told her (as I stated in a previous blog entry) that Katie apparently had my grandmother's pretty, delicate hands, although I only saw her hands gnarled and curved because she had RA so bad. I didn't tell her I had it, too, or that I worried Katie someday would as well. Maybe I was too tired to get into a conversation about it or felt it was too soon in our new relationship to divulge such personal information. Looking back now, it was a great opportunity to educate and advocate, but I just wasn't in the frame of mine then.

I came back home and sat down at my desk. I read the news of the day. I made a note to check into the possibility of flu shots helping to reduce the risk of heart attacks, which occur more often and are more often fatal during cold and flu season. I tried to understand how overriding President Bush's veto of the State Children's Health Insurance Program could affect those of you out there on Medicare who need a 'breakthrough" medicine to treat your arthritis. I saw the irony in a new study that will be released tomorrow: the way brain cells communicate with each other may provide the ability or inability to cope with stress and depression. Depressed people showed a 40-percent increase in levels of a compound called BDNF, and researchers theorize that keeping BDNF from being released into a specific part of the brain could increase coping ability. I secretly hoped that today's meltdown was due to a temporary surge of BDNF and that my brain cells would get back to communicating well today. I did a task for a co-worker, though, and admitted I really needed a nap, a walk and a big cup of coffee. I tried to think but felt foggy and just stared at the piece I'm working on for a while. I drank the big cup of coffee. I took a 20-minute nap around noon. But still, my mind just doesn't seem to be working today. I apologize, as I'm trying to work on pieces for all of you to read in the magazine or on the Web site, but maybe tomorrow will be more productive. I'll go exercise later and try to clear the cobwebs. I'll try to get some extra sleep tonight. And I'll feel much better when I get to hold Katie again at the end of the day.

Til then, I'll just have to accept the fact that, being a human with a chronic condition, there will be good days and bad days, and that the bad days also are only 24 hours long. I'm well into those 24 hours, so things should be looking up soon.

5 Comments:

At 7:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Donna,

I am in a very similar situation as yours. I have a beautiful 4 1/2 month old that I am nursing and she is what keeps me going everyday. The pain got so bad around 3 months postpartum that I desperately searched and finally found a diagnosis of RA. I am only 27 and it was a hard road to get to. I have been on Prednisone for a month and it has been a god send - it is allowing me to function as a mother and continue nursing for a few more months until I can begin my first treatments for RA and tamper off the prednisone. While I hate being on a med that isn't doing any benefits to my bones, amongst other things, it has been worth it. I sympathize with you and hope that you are able to still enjoy your beautiful daughter - the pain can make anyone feel horrible. Have you considered a steroid as a "bridge" med to get you through the rough months of breastfeeding? I am curious if you have any suggestions on resources for a lactating mother with RA (or a pregnant one for that matter) the information is just soo frustratingly scarce! I will continue following your story and please, if you are interested I would be happy to help be a Email support person for you! I know I could sure use it about now!

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Florence said...

Donna,

I just wanted to thank you for the quote at the end of this post. The quote was, " I'll just have to accept the fact that, being a human with a chronic condition, there will be good days and bad days, and that the bad days also are only 24 hours long. I'm well into those 24 hours, so things should be looking up soon." (This is now on my frig)

I am having some pretty bad days as of late, so I think this will help me try to remember that they are not forever. After almost 20 years of RA and no remissions, I didn't think there were anymore words of inspiration that would help me through a bad day, thought I had read them all. However, as it is with all things related to RA, you wait long enough you're bound to learn something new.

I know you must feel greatful that you have your children and your husband. Even though caring for a family when you are in pain can not be easy, I'll assure you nor is the alternative. I am single and never married, and I don't have children. Even though I have a very supportive family which I could not live without, in my day to day life I am still very much on my own. That is quite a challenge when you have a chronic condition. So good luck with your new baby, and thanks again for providing me with the boost I needed to get me up and trying to move forward again.

 
At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel for you. I don't have RA, my Dad does. I have Lupus though. I remember 19years ago when I gave birth to my one and only beautiful daugther! It was very, very hard for me because she had severe colic! I might have gotten 2 hours peace a day! With Lupus stress is the last thing you need! It was worth it though, she is a wonderful girl. My Lupus has caused me a lot of problems. I just went through a divorce a year ago, after 20 years. I suffer from depression a lot - not from the divorce though, from the Lupus! ha ha (have to keep your humor). I live in Atlanta also. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks, Jennifer

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Marion said...

Donna,

I have just recently been diagnosed with RA and Osteo. It's been going on for years, however, and I did not know before a flare that depression can arise. It happens to me regularly, that depression before a flare.

Thank you for writing this blog. Being a beginner at RA, there is much to learn...and who better to learn the ins and outs than from one who has RA.

Your post lifted my spirits immensely. 24 hours are not so long. It's one step at a time.

Hope you're feeling better, and thank you, again.

 
At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Outstanding Blog post! Thank you so much for sharing your personal info, because there are so many others out there going through similar things who can identify with you and know that, indeed, they are not alone. Including me.

I have a degenerative joint disorder and some very painful arthritis in my knees and shoulder as a result from an accident a long time ago. I am about to turn 40. I hurt so bad some days, I wonder how I can go on! But we all manage to muddle through.

I find it interesting how you correlate the "chicken or the egg" theme. Which comes first - emotional situations and then exacerbation of arthritis pain...or exacerbation of pain...that leads us to be more emotional?

I personally think it's a toss up - a baker's dozen and a catch 22! Exacerbation of pain can come from BOTH directions. And remember, ANY life stresses that come our way can aggravate and cause fluctuations in our already somewhat compromised immune system ...thus repeating the nasty pain cycle.

Just continue to take care of yourself. I get along the best when I implement the "just for today" theory. It prevents me from getting too overwhelmed with worry in anticipation of events and things coming in the future....I just handle them to the best of my abilities when I get to them on that day...don't worry about the rest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home